Friday, August 31, 2007

Nothing like a bloody red lipstick

As a teenager, i used to find red lipsticks outrageous. I was more into flesh and natural tons and quoting a character of a book i recently read, who best described how i felt in this sort of make up, i felt clownish in bright red. But the years went by, and i changed. Though i don't wear red tons in my every day life, this is the first lipstick colour that comes in my mind every time i have some more important "event" to attend.


When it comes to the glamour and sophistication of red lipstick, there's no better source of inspiration than Hollywood stars, both classic and contemporary actresses. The first name that comes in my mind: Marilyn Monroe. There's also Ava Gardner, once called the world's most beautiful animal, in all her glory in The Barefoot Contessa. To get this 50's classic retro look stick with a matte red lipstick, but before, apply a thin layer of foundation or use some powder to even out the skin. After applying the lipstick, i like to apply a cherry or red ton of lipgloss just in the center region of both upper and inferior lip.


Eva Green and Scarlett Johansson really know how to make this retro look work, in the big screen or the red carpets. Eva was the perfect femme fatale in last year's blockbuster Casino Royale. Scarlett has always looked amazing in daring red, as in the right picture where she was shot for Interview magazine as Miss Monroe.








The first appearance of Satine (Nicole Kidman) in Moulin Rouge is a movie moment to remember. The
close-up of her face occupying the whole screen, the bright blue eyes, the pale complexion and of course, the red lips. Besides the leather catsuit and the black smoked eyes, Selina's dramatic transformation into Catwoman (Michelle Pfeiffer) in Batman Returns wouldn't be complete without the bloody red lipstick. Both actresses gave one of her best performances in these films.





Thinking about great female performances and red lips, how can we forget Laura Harring and Naomi Watts in David Lynch's Mulholland Dr.? Naomi looks absolutely gorgeous in many moments of this film i might never truly understand.


Fashion brings the red lipstick back now and then. In Proenza Shouler fall 2007 ready-to-wear show, all models' lips were covered by red, adding even more sophistication to what was being displayed on the catwalk. In the new Valentino campaign (the first photo on this post) Hilary Rhoda, Daria and Gemma Ward are all in red from the lips to their nail polish. As well as Lily Donaldson (left) in i'm not sure where. Natalia Vodianova (right, for a 2002 issue of Allure magazine) displays a Clinique lipgloss in the juicy apple shade, not as dramatic as the Hollywood divas, but equally sexy. I think red lipstick can be flattering to any of us, it's just about finding the right shade of red.

20 comments:

Romeika said...

Hi everyone, i'm sorry but i will have to leave now to get some rest and tomorrow i will answer all the comments on the previous post, as well as i'll be visiting your blogs.

I have been having a HARD time posting on blogger lately. Ordering the photos and the paragraphs has taken so much time i'm nearly giving up of posting. I have to edit the post over and over and the result is never really good. I wonder if it's just me:-S

Good night,
^^

Kamila said...

O Blogger é temperamental com todo mundo, Romeika. Fica tranquila. :-)

Batom vermelho destaca muito o rosto de uma mulher. Mas, eu não gosto de usar muito. Prefiro os tons mais claros.

Bom final de semana!

Anonymous said...

It hardly looks as if she is even wearing lipstick in this image, but this has become my favorite photo of Marilyn:

Marilyn Monroe at a cafe

WendyB said...

MAC has a great red called lasting lust:

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15113&PRODUCT_ID=PROD6836

Romeika said...

Kamila, eu não uso muito vermelho no dia a dia, prefiro os tons mais claros tb. Mas quando surge a oportunidade, vermelho é o primeiro na fila ^^

emsie said...

i've always seen red lipstick as a really glamourous shade. Lily Donaldson does look amazing in teat picture!

x

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I still don't think I could wear red lipstick that bright it just takes too much maintenance hahhaa but on some people it does look fabulous I love the pictures you choose;)

Aisha said...

I love this post =). OLd Hollywood girls were the best at wearing it, so classy and keeping it simple.

I have tanned skin and i'm not sure about if it looks good on me, but as you said, it's all about finding "the right shade of red".

x

WendyB said...

Another good red lipstick is Sangria by this brand:
http://www.kimara.com/

Kat said...

I love this post Romeika! I cannot carry off red lips, I wish I could but I can't but that is probably because I could never get the right shade. Red lips certainly brings to mind hollywood starlets of past era's. For me along with the 50s stars the old, glamorous femme fatales of the 1930's spring to mind - Mae West, Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford.

Btw, I love your book and film post, it really makes me want to read these bookd especially since I loved the Hours and the virgin suicides. Your exclamation about your blog title too makes me want to read that book.
Would you like to exchange links?

Kat said...

Oh I forgot! I so know what you mean about getting the post in order. I find that the writing of the post takes little time when compared too the organisation that is involved. The pictures always tend to mess up the paragraphs and then there is often these annoying spaces too. I totally know what you mean! The hardships of us bloggers!

Anonymous said...

I love the post about red lipsticks. Sometimes I get free lipsticks (usually at the Clinique counter) but hardly ever wear them because they are always *too* red for me. You've inspired me to go back and try them again.

Anonymous said...

Romeika- DON'T stop blogging! If it is too much trouble making pictures and paragraphs, a few words from the heart always works. I don't read your blog to discover the red lipsticks, but to read your beautiful, unique viewpoint on life.

Kira Aderne said...

Eu adoro!!!
Batom vermelho é o máximo!!!!Sempre uso quando quero arrasar mesmo!!!

Sobre a pergunta dos sapatos...eu comprei um plataforma, como o da foto da Mischa, da arezzo, há pouco tempo...e gostei muito...mas acho que esses sapatos não são indicados para andar muito.

Agora, descobri que os sapatos da Vizanno, ana hickmann, são maravilhosos e os preços são ótimos! Vende em todas as lojas da Riachuelo no Brasil. E os sapatos são chiquérrimos! Agora só compro sapato depois de ir na Riachuelo...

MIl beijocasss

Carolina Lange said...

Acho batom vermelho lindo, queria muito poder usar, mas em mim fica horrível! Tem mulher que fica maravilhosa de batom vermelho, que inveja!

Museu do Cinema said...

Dependendo da boca que usa, um batom vermelho é irresistivel mesmo!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I gave you an award, see my site for details;)

Ella Gregory said...

heya
i have given you a rockin blogger award check my blog out to see.
and i love red lipstick but it always make me look 10 years older so i never wear it.

Romeika said...

Cassiano, a maioria do sexo oposto não é muito fã do batom vermelho, que bom que vc gosta, parabéns pelo gosto sofisticado. Quanto ao livro, de nada! ^^

Carolina Lange said...

Obrigada pelas dicas do batom, vou experimentar!