“‘Mrs. Gardiner would be happy to see Miss March and Miss Josephine at a little dance on New Year’s Eve.’ Marmee is willing we should go, now what shall we wear?”“What’s the use of asking that, when you know we shall wear our poplins, because we haven’t got anything else?” answered Jo with her mouth full.
“If I only had a silk!” sighed Meg. “Mother says I may when I’m eighteen perhaps, but two years is an everlasting time to wait.”
“I’m sure our pops look like silk, and they are nice enough for us. Yours is as good as new, but I forgot the burn and the tear in mine. Whatever shall I do? The burn shows badly, and I can’t take any out.”
“You must sit still all you can and keep your back out of sight. The front is all right. I shall have a new ribbon for my hair, and Marmee will lend me her little pearl pin, and my new slippers are lovely, and my gloves will do, though they aren’t as nice as I’d like.”
“Mine are spoiled with lemonade, and I can’t get any new ones, so I shall have to go without,” said Jo, who never troubled herself much about dress.
“You must have gloves, or I won’t go,” cried Meg decidedly. “Gloves are more important than anything else. You can’t dance without them, and if you don’t I should be so mortified.”
The fragment above is part of the novel Little Women, written by Louisa May Alcott in 1867. How the times have changed, as it was unthinkable for a lady to leave home for a party without wearing gloves. At those times they didn't really need to worry so much about their manicure at least. Or perhaps, yes, as some etiquette rules used to say a lady should always remove their gloves while eating or smoking, for example. Nevertheless, i can't picture Jo and Meg smoking. Even almost half century later, it could have been considered unappropriate for an upper class young lady to do so. Just picture Kate Winslet in Titanic. Maybe during the 1960s it was different? Hard to forget the iconic figure of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's and her long cigarette holder in marvelous black satin opera gloves. Dancing, though, would require gloves and no need to take them off. Picture Audrey again, this time in My Fair Lady, during the ball which will present us to her deep appearance change, from a flower girl to an aristocrat. Women freed themselves from numerous social conventions along the 20th century. Hats were no longer an obligation, and neither were gloves. Along with 1970s sexual liberation, heads and hands were bared forever. Hats are still used now and them, in winter, for warmth and on the beaches during summer time. Gloves, and I'm not talking about leather winter gloves or any of this sort, but those gloves which were always worn with adornment purposes have disappeared long time ago. Satin opera gloves are hardly worn these days, for a few exceptions: Brides, debutante/prom gowns and a few celebrities in big red carpet events. Ah, and Dita Von Teese, Dita Von Teese and Dita Von Teese.
Gloves can also be seen more often during Haute Couture shows, but imagine only women who are able to afford any of those gowns would (perhaps) be wearing evening gloves along them. At least if more Hollywood celebrities wore gloves often on the red carpet... It sounds really artificial to picture many of today's celebrities doing so. Gloves truly belong to another age, to an age of innocence which was buried right after the first world war. Of course there was a rebirth during the 1950s, the decade of feminity. And besides all that, how gloves and classic Hollywood were inseparable. From the first Hollywood films until its last golden decade, gloves were commonly worn in all glamourous ways. From a film set to the red carpet, from a photo shoot to an usual dinner in a restaurant. Movie stars were supposed to be goddesses and could never reveal their human nature. They made the audience believe they woke up as beautiful as ever and kept its perfection along the day. Picture recent Hollywood films which take place in these classic times, like The Aviator and Hollywoodland. Scandals and any sort of dirty facts that were part of the actresses personal lives would never come out in public. After Marilyn Monroe's death, things drastically changed. The star system died and so did glamour and the above-the elbow length gloves. Celebrities these days are very much human and of course there are thousands of paparazzi who will always help us to think so. Many of them dress as trash as they can as well.

The obvious choices of the photographs in this post are due to my fascination for classic Hollywood actresses and their gloves. I've tried to find more about contemporary actresses and gloves, but most of them wear it with a hideous dress (Think of Geena Davis) or totally naked for a male magazine photo shoot. As for the gloves themselves, it seems like the opera ones have been worn since at least the late 18th century, and gloves reaching to or just below the elbow have been worn by women in Western countries since the 17th century. If you're interested about Fashion History, you'll certainly want to read a lot more about gloves here.
2007's Red Carpet Gloves: Heidi Klum and Evan Rachel Wood



.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)

30 comments:
Hi everyone, i've been busy from monday to wednesday, which makes it hard for me to visit your blogs. I don't like to stop by very fast and just drop any comment. I'd rather have time to read the posts and then comment afterwards. I can at least answer the comments here the day after the post. For the rest, i'll be visiting your blogs during some other time. I hope you guys understand. -x-
your so right, gloves are hardly ever worn anymore, i think its because with ready to wear fashion they look out of place (like on hiedi in that picture)
i love them on the classic icons like audrey
fab post
"Classissimes" Symbols of "Vintage Elegance", with a delightful, subtle power of evocation . . .
Evan Rachel Wood is simply Perfect, a mesmerizing "porcelain redhead Mistress" . . .
a Very interesting Post !!!
Cordially, Antoine
Romeika, olha esse é um dos posts favoritos que você fez sobre moda no blog até agora. Acho que as luvas são a cara da Hollywood Clássica. Deixam a roupa com um ar muito mais sofisticado e elegante. Acho uma pena que as atrizes de hoje não usem mais as luvas nessas cerimônias de premiações.
Só faltou você falar sobre um negócio: o que você acha daquelas luvas modernas, meio Madonna anos 80, que gente como a Lindsay Lohan adora usar???
This is a great post. I think gloves are very lovely and I would love to wear them, but I would feel so formal and out of place.
Great post. I loved that kind of fashion passage in Little Women. So different from our time. It is fun remembering gloves and ribbons and the like were the hot things.
i love your intro, i read the first line and knew it was from little women. how i love that story. i would love to wear gloves too but i do too feel out of place unless it's those woolly gloves or black leather gloves that you wear in winter. . .
lovely post. I for one am glad fashion rules have lightened up over the years, allows for more wild dressing.
Coco, i agree with you about the inadequacy of Heidi in those gloves, i only like them in the classic icons as well, with a very few exceptions.
Antoine, thanks. And i like Evan Rachel Wood here as well.
Kamila, que bom que vc gostou. Eu acho que luvas caem melhor com alta costura, e hj até mesmo as atrizes descartam esses vestidos no red carpet, com exceções. Na Hollywood Clássica, as estrelas sempre se vestiam com pompa e sofisticação, portanto, as luvas eram um complemento natural e esperado. Com relação a essas luvas estilo Madonna do passado, acho um horror, deveriam ficar só nos anos 80 aonde elas pertencem!:-p kkkkkkk
Lady N, thanks. I'd love to have an opportunity to wear them as well, but i wonder where *lol* Perhaps if i ever go to watch an opera or something.
Wendy, thanks. It's funny indeed to remember these facts, and it's really fun these passages in the book where the sisters discuss about what they're gonna wear, and dressing up in general.
Cotton Candy, same here. Just winter gloves and nothing else hehe
The Clothes Horse, thanks. And i agree on what you say, it would be indeed terrible if we were always condemned to social conventions and fashion rules. The greatest thing about our times when it comes to clothes is this "freedom" of wearing what we want.
Mas, Romeika, a gente vive num revival dos anos 80!!! Já vi um bocado de atrizes e cantoras jovens usando essas luvas estilo Madonna! rsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsr
I would marry this post!
It is such a shame gloves are no longer worn, they are so feminine but yes it is true they are from another age.
Great, great post, pictures are knock - me - off - my - seat - fabulous! Really intersting points too though. x x x
evan rachel wood can pull that image perfectly!
Kamila, é verdade, mas eu não sou muito fã dos anos 80:-p kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Kat, thank you! And indeed, it's such a pity gloves are no long worn.
Romeika, eu também não sou fã dos anos 80. Acho tudo muito cafona!!
Romeika!
Eu n tenho um pair de chic luvas como as fato, mas juro que gostaria...mas não como usaria com o calor aqui do recife! na próxima promoção da zara juro que compro, nem que seja para guardá-las...hehehe
Mil beijoss
bom dia!
amanhã é feriado aqui ;)
gloves are so pretty!! esp if u get them right with a fabb outfit!! haha!
sigh. smt i just wish i could travel back and just experience the thrills of dressing up for a ball or smt=p haha!
i <3 Grace Kelly!!!!!!!
Kamila, concordo! kkkkkkkkk
Kira, bom feriado ^^
Your posts are always such wonderful collages of history and trends. Love this one tremendously.
Thanks, Ambika!
lovely post! along with vintage romantic hats, i wish gloved would come into the mainstream too! i love how even rachel woods is wearing her gloves :)
very intersesting post - loved it!
I like gloves, but I guess I'd feel a little weird wearing them...Maybe if I get to marry again...just kidding! But, just for the record, in case I do remarry, it will be at the beach...
Nice weekend:)
Adorei o post, muito bom mesmo. Eu amo luvas e colecciono. Tenho algumas de ferinhas vintage, não posso ver que quero comprar. Até uso em balada, mas as curtinhas e dependendo da produção ahahah...mas normalmente é para coleção mesmo.
Quem usou á pouco tempo foram a Drew Barrymore e a cantora Eve e ficou ótimo. Acho que esse tipo comprido igual ao da Heidi não fica muito legal nos dias de hj.
Bjssssssssssssssssssssss
I wish I could wear long gloves,they are so stylish
How strange! I just bought a pair of long black gloves and I have to admit that I can't not wear them. I love them and they're surprisingly versatile.
PS. I just noticed your self-portrait on the side and I think it's great. How did you create the crackling effect of old movies?
I've always wanted a pair of nice, sexy, long gloves. There's something so provocative and femme fatale about them.
"Gloves truly belong to another age, to an age of innocence which was buried right after the first world war."
Innocence was lost with WWI, yes, I totally agree. However, I wouldn't say gloves are so innocent. There is also a dark side to them as well. Anyone who has searched the world of fetish would agree. Great article regardless.
Hi cuffedsk, thanks for the comment!
I only meant that before the war gloves were worn in an innocent context. But of course gloves have several meanings. I'd like to search about the whole fetish thing, how it started etc..
Hello Romeika,
AFAIK, gloves really came into their own in the fetish world with the Irving Klaw/Bettie Page photos. I have seen pre war "pin up" pics that did include gloves, I believe mostly French and German, but they were maybe used more as a fashion prop than a true fetish device. I think there is a retroactive application in movies such as the Night Porter. I'm not sure though that they were fetishized during the war. Regardless, imho it is a very interesting topic. *smiles*
Thanks a lot for the info, Cuffedsk;-)
Post a Comment