Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Christmas Chronicles

I could make a huge list of impossible "gifts" I'd love to get for Christmas, although I'm pretty aware I won't get any of them, like an original 1920s flapper dress or in more contemporary terms, those ravishing Miu Miu pumps down there. Besides all these beautiful materialistic wishes in the form of garments and endless accessories, all I wish I was able to do by now is to get the first plane in direction to my hometown in Brazil. To spend Christmas with my family enjoying a delightful Christmas dinner, to walk up the next day with the sun glow calling me at my window, to spend the day at the pool drinking mango juice and at lunch time, to walk to the closest homemade food restaurant, wearing nothing but a cute summer dress and sandals. Food is a great part of each country's culture, and some people, even while staying away for a short period like a holiday, miss their home food somehow. In Brazil, people from where I come from already feel a deep change in weather and especially food terms just by going to the south region of the country, so what to say of the homesickness feeling when you're in Denmark or any other scandinavian country?
It's not every day I feel that way, I could pretty much say I'm definitely adapted to all the extremely different things I've faced here, the "bad" things, I mean. Because from the good things, no adaptation is needed. But in order to not start sounding slightly ethnocentric, I should drop the bad part conversation, though it's so obvious and harmless. I guess this end of the year feeling always get me depressed no matter where I am, and considering where I am right now, it doesn't get any better. The picture collage above is a tiny example of all sort of food, from meals to desserts or even simple snacks and fruit I can't get here, and If I can, it's not really the same. I googled some of the images and many others I found on Flickr, but I don't remember from who, so If anyone out there took any of these pics, just leave the photo link here and I'll credit you. Click here to see the collage in a larger size.

The view from my window at 10am. If it wasn't so cold, I could easily picture some Little Children characters here.

Christmas time means pretty much gift exchanges, right? Wrong. Here in Denmark it also means booze time (is there a time where there's not a booze time here?) The picture was taken in a small grocery store located in Copenhagen downtown (nearby Tivoli and the City Hall), and that's just half of its drink section. Then I looked for my fav yoghurt and I couldn't find it. They only had two kind of yoghurts. Funny.


Enchanted opened yesterday and I'll probably see it today. If Amy Adams won't make me feel any better, no one else can. Now it's just four days left until all of this is gone. I'll go to Randers on monday and I'll be coming back on wednesday evening. I should be happy because I'll meet at least two of my friends, everyone else is abroad for their family or somewhere else in Denmark for other reasons. I am feeling so numb right now that I've even avoided cinema theaters for a while. You see the post below? It's been a week since I saw the last film in the list. And films are the ultimate escapism way for me, though not all of them serve for this purpose. A week. It's not really such a long time, is it? There are six films out there I'd like to see, but I couldn't so far. And then soon there will be so many others, counting with the opening dates on december 25th and the first january week. Wes Anderson, Woody Allen and Ben Affleck's debut as a director are just around the corner. And right now there's a special exhibition at the Lousiana Museum of Modern Art, about Richard Avedon's most remarkable works, I've already been there, but I'm willing to return for a second view. Is it just me, or is is there anyone out there that is not feeling so great right now..because of Christmas? Merry Christmas, anyway.
Update, December 23: Thank you everyone for the positive comments. I saw "Enchanted" last night and now I feel a lot better. To anyone out there who is feeling as blue as I was, go see this film! :-)

27 comments:

Aisha said...

En este mes es muy normal ponerse algo nostálgica, sobretodo estando lejos de casa. Yo me sentiría igual si estuviera en otro país que no fuera mi Perú. Y por supuesto que extrañar la comida es irremediable, la comida brasilero luce increíble.

Espero que te repongas (=

Yo aún no veo "Encantada"... talvez debería, pero es que ando muy ajetreada con esto de la navidad, regalos, intrcambios, blahblah; sin embargo, espero hacerlo después de las fiestas.

Espero que no te moleste que haya escrito en español =L
Sé que no lo hubiera podido decir igual en inglés =P

cuidaaate ;)

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry you're feeling sad and homesick right now. i actually love christmas for all its food, music, gifts, decor, and company, but even i am feeling somewhat of a mild depression towards it as well this year because i've been so ridicuously busy with school that despite the snow that is candycoating the trees in Minnesota and all of the carols being playing since halloween nearly, i have never really felt that xmas spirit. i mean unfortunately everyone has to come to the annoying and somber reality that xmas will always be a little less exciting as they age, but that's not even my excuse this year, it's just too packed for me to have time to care. i'm hoping to get in all of my xmas spirit in four days, but who knows. anyway, i hope you stop feeling blue and enjoy the holiday. enchanted is cute btw, so enjoy!

Emma said...

your first pics making me hungrey lol

Kamila said...

Romeika, é normal que, nesta época do Natal, especialmente, você gostaria de estar aqui com a sua família. Tenho certeza de que o sentimento deles é recíproco.

Espero que você possa estar aqui em Natal em breve matando as saudades de todo mundo e para que a gente possa se encontrar e colocar os papos em dia.

Por enquanto, te desejo um Feliz Natal! E que 2008 seja um ano melhor em todos os sentidos!

PS: Se assistir "Encantada" neste final de semana, tenho certeza de que a Amy Adams irá te animar um pouquinho. Um pouco de magia, de diversão é tudo que você precisa.

Beijos.

Carolina Lange said...

Sei como você se sente, não é fácil passar o Natal longe da família.
Adorei a foto da vista da sua janela.
Desejo à você um Natal maravilhoso e que 2008 seja cheio de momentos especiais!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

That's a lot of alcohol! I saw Enchanted and it was very sweet.

sara said...

I can defiantly understand wanting to be home for christmas, I'd feel the same way. oh, enchanted looks so good.

x sara o

miss *ann said...

some christmas love for you, that are feeling homesick.
mwa!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I know what you mean about being homesick, even though i've just moved back to canada I miss Australia a lot but my life was pretty boring over there as I didn't know anyone and I wasn't familiar with my surroundings.
Things will get better...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're not having the best time this Christmas, I can understand that it can be very hard. I wish you the best and I hope you have a good holiday anyway!

Romeika said...

Thank you everyone for the positive comments. I saw "Enchanted" last night and now I feel a lot better. To everyone out there who is feeling as blue as I was, go see this film!
:-)

Thank you all for the comments, again! ^^

Wiliam Domingos said...

Nossa seu texto me fez lembra de uma música...!
Primeiramente, te desejo tudo de bom neste fim de ano...mesmo longe da família, você sabe que tem o aconchego amoroso deles mesmo distante! As maneiras de sentir isso a distância é um caminho que você aos poucos vai descobrir...
Sobre a música, não sei se você conhece o irlândes Damien Rice! É o meu símbolo musical! Incondicionalmente um poeta cantor...
Tem uma música chamada Eskimo, depois ouça ela...vai te fazer bem!
Beeijos!

Ceci n'est pas une blogger. said...

Glad you're feeling better now! I had a bit of a hard time getting into the Christmas mode this year, probably because of being away at school and coming back pretty late. By the way, all of the food pictures look so delicious!!

Romeika said...

William, conheço o cantor, mas pouquíssimas músicas dele, incluindo aquela de "Closer" que todo mundo sabe hehe Não conhecia essa música, mas procurei a letra no google e encontrei um vídeo dele ao vivo, realmente é muito linda a música. Obrigada! E sim.. mesmo distante eu sei que posso contar com a minha família. Beijos e Feliz Natal pra vc! ^^

Ceci n'est pas une bloggler: The food pictures look yummy, indeed hehe ^^

Btw, these are:

Row 1: (1) one of my fav pizza made at my fav italian restaurant in my hometown, (2) Chicken pie, (3)some dessert I can't translate *lol*, it means "pavê" in portuguese (4) Yummy snacks, (5) chicken pancakes, (6) a beautiful piece of chocolate cake that reminds me of the sort of cake I can get some place in Natal.

Row 2: (1) Guava pie, (2), guava, 3)farofa (can't translate!), (4) another sort of salty pie, (5) bolo de macaxeira, 6) macaxeira frita/fried "macaxeira".

Row 3: (1&2) Cashews, "graviola" and "maracujá", they're all great for making fresh juices,(3)Lemon pie, (4)Cashew sweet, (5)Cheese rolls, (6) fruit salad.

Row 4: (1) acerola, I love its juice, (2) cashew, again!.3) "macaxeira" bread, (4)my fav ice cream at my fav restaurant in Natal, (5) Corn cake, (6) black beans and rice.

Row 5: (1) all sort of food in a typical brazilian restaurant, (2)some "maracujá" dessert, "mousse de maracuja" en portuguese, (3) fruit!, (4)mango juice, (5) yummy snacks!, (6)cashew, again!

Last Row: (1) Delicious snack, (2) brigadeiro, a very yummy and caloric sweet, (3) another fav pizza of mine, (4) more snacks, (5)chicken stronoff served with rice, salad and some sort of chips, (6) the first picture again.

I'll be prolly posting again on thursday... So hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

^^

cotton candy said...

lol...if you see my blog, i have an end of materialistic things that i would love to receive for christmas. lol - greedy me.

but yes, most important is family and i hope you will have a wonderful time with your husband in your new home. and now one of my christmas wishes will be for you to see your family real soon. please take care.^^

merry christmas!

Anonymous said...

Muito bom esse post, como sempre! Além das saudades por outros motivos, deve ser difícil ficar longe dessa comida maravilhosa que temos por aqui. Quanto à "Encantada", ainda não vi o filme, mesmo precisando me animar um pouco durante os últimos dias. Feliz Natal!!!

Abraço.

Unknown said...

First of all,

Merry christmas to you.
I stumbled across your blog and couldn't stop laughing at your comment about booze time in this country :)

peace
morsi

Seeker said...

I'm happy to know you start feeling better, hope you had a nice Christmas Eve, and Happy Hollidays
(Xmas is a time that makes me nostalgic)

xxx

Ella Gregory said...

I loved Enchanted, it was very funny
also that food collage at the top of this post has made me so hungry
hahaha
I hope you had a nice Christmas
p.s your comment on the plastic surgery post was very intersting, I loved having your feedback, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years, Romeika.

I missed my mother the most this Christmas. It's empty not being able to call her. I get more "homesick" for people than I do places. Still, it was maybe the best Christmas ever because we spent it with friends.

Aisha said...

check out my latest post, I left something for you there ;)

Romeika said...

Cotton Candy: I hope so too! Perhaps next summer, I can't wait! big kiss :-*

Vinícius, vc como nordestino deve saber do que eu estou falando hehehe. Beijos!

Morsi, thanks for the visit! As a matter of fact, there wasn't as much booze as I thought, not in my husband's family though
:-p

The Seeker: Thanks! Christmas is indeed nostalgic..:-S

Coco: I loved that post, so you're welcome ^^ The food is yummmmyyy:-p

Seraphine, when I hear comments like yours, it makes me feel sort of silly in a way. I should be thankful instead. I'm glad you had a good time, hope it's the same during new year's eve. Hugs -x-

Aisha, I'll check it soon ^^

Rita said...

Lovely blog, and lovely post. I understand the feeling... I miss my country, Venezuela, very much during this time of the year.
By the way, I love the allusion to Virginia Woolf in your blog's name... a blog truly feels like a room of your own.
I'll keep visiting :)

Kira Aderne said...

Comer é uma das melhores coisas da vida!!!
E no Natal o que eu mais amo é comer panetone, eu sou capaz de devorar um todinho de 1/5 kg em pouco minutos...mas só faço isso uma vez por ano.

Deve ser difícil se adaptar a uma comida tão diferente da nossa, mas é o preço que se paga por ter uma vida fora de onde nasceu...mas, acho que os ganhos são maiores que as perdas...não é mesmo?

Espero que já tenha comido tudo isso neste natal e que tenha um ano novo de muitas alegrias!

Muitos beijos e abraçosss

Rafael Cruz said...

Hi!

Your blog is great! Congratulations!

I'm brazilian and friend of Dani Paiva. I have two blogs. The both about Cinema. I talk more about cinema in www.tecnologia-e-cinema.com . In my another blog, a talk about cinema and other things, like Tech, curiosities, chess etc. Your name is Cucamonga - www.cucamongabr.com . Do you want to exchange links? The both blogs are in Portuguese.

Best Regards and...

Um Feliz Ano Novo pra você!

Lauren said...

enchanted does make me feel happy! love that movie!
hope u had a great christmas :D

Romeika said...

Rafael, obrigada! Acho que a Dani mencionou seu blog uma vez, vou dar uma passada, e sim, podemos trocar links.

Feliz ano novo tb!