Friday, June 5, 2009

things to think about: Francesca Woodman photography

She was born april 3, 1958, in Denver, Colorado, to well-known artists. In the beggining of 1975, she attended the Rhode Island School of Design but moved to Rome, where she studied in an RISD honors program between 1977 and 1978. Later she came back to Rhode Island to graduate, and moved to New York "to make a career in photography". One year later, she became depressed due to her work and to a broken relationship, which resulted in tragic consequences. Francesca Woodman commited suicide at the age of 22.

She's best known for black-and-white pictures of herself and of female models, and many of her photographs show young women nude, blurred (due to movement and long exposure times), merging with their surroundings, or with their faces obscured.
source: wikipedia

19 comments:

Little Monarch said...

these are beautiful I am so sure this was the artist I saw at the Tate Modern one (by accident) and fell in love with her but never saw them ever again! I love them. and now I love you for reconnecting me with her.

elena-lu said...

thats the most beautiful and sad thing ive read or seen today
i cant beleive how short her life was, but she left some stunning images

Unknown said...

I love it! It's so beautiful. How did you get to know about her?

Amber said...

Oh my gosh! I just got shivers when I read that and looked at her photos.
That is so very sad and tragic. What a wasted life and talent. Poor, poor woman. It is so wonderful that you are keeping her work alive and sharing it with others. thank you.

Meream said...

These photos are beautiful. Definitely shows the mind of the woman taking the photograph.

Anonymous said...

these are haunting, and all the more tragic knowing she was so talented but died so young

Meghan said...

The images are haunting. tragic story.

Kamila said...

Boas fotografias. Entretanto, a história pessoal da fotógrafa lembra - e muito - a de tantos outros artistas atormentados e amargurados...

Joyti said...

I am slightly familar with her, and her work is stunning. I hadn't seen the top photograph you used, but it is just amazing...

Andrea S. said...

What a sad story to accompany such beautiful photographs.

Debbie Shiamay said...

Its sad to know she commited suicide at such a young age... Gosh what a waste... I love the second photo... So beautiful!

Vinícius P. said...

Realmente são belíssimas fotografias, além de muito originais...

Maja said...

Those really are stunning photos. What a tragic way to go..

Wally said...

Beautiful! And so haunting I have to stop looking.

Ciao!

Romeika said...

Line, I saw some of her photographs on a blog once, and became interested to know more about her.

~ ennui ~ said...

dark, haunting and all together beautiful.
such a sad ending to such a talented artist.
thank you for sharing.

Susana Rodrigues said...

Although her sad story... her work is fabulous!
The photos are beautiful but at the same time misterious!
xoxo
Su

B. said...

O nome do seu blog me chamou atençao... Imagine minha surpresa quando li diario de uma brasileira" :) Fantastico!
You've got a great blog

Romeika said...

B., obrigado;-)