
"This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar De La Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? (...) And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff." (The Devil Wears Prada)
"You`re considered superficial and silly if you are interested in fashion, but I think you can be substantial and still be interested in frivolity." (Sofia Coppola, when discussing the topic of her movie, Marie Antoinette, 2006).
"You want to be taken seriously? Stop dressing like a little girl." (Joan Holloway to Peggy Olson, Mad Men, season 2).
1. I find it fascinating how some people naively assume they have absolutely no interest in fashion whatsoever, "because fashion is superficial and therefore non-relevant in so many ways", while ironically they can't realize how fashion is deeply connected to their every day outfit choices, even if unconsciously. Take those iconic sunglasses, the wayfarers, for example. Audrey Hepburn wore them in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Kirsten Dunst didn't seem to ever leave her place without them long before it became an obsession - like 2-3 years ago? And although they might not be the hardcore fashionista option for the current season, there are still plenty of them out there, from the classic black shades to the most hideous patterns. And you will see/have seen them worn by people who think these are just... sunglasses.
2. How presumptuous to judge fashion as irrelevant and superficial! Clothes and accessories are part of human history like anything else, from severe dresscodes to the considerable style freedom we enjoy today. Clothes aren't just clothes, as they have the power to state whatever you want. At some point in my life I worked in this place surrounded by men and women looking the same in their boring suits, shoes and pumps, utterly glad, even proud for doing what they did, whereas I despised it... I'd never wear leather pumps in 30 degrees weather, or a boring matching suit, for that matter, just because I was working with them. I'd wear my oldest pair of jeans, a tee and converses, sometimes even flip flops. Yes. Flip flops. Because I didn't belong there, because I didn't want to fit in.
"You`re considered superficial and silly if you are interested in fashion, but I think you can be substantial and still be interested in frivolity." (Sofia Coppola, when discussing the topic of her movie, Marie Antoinette, 2006).
"You want to be taken seriously? Stop dressing like a little girl." (Joan Holloway to Peggy Olson, Mad Men, season 2).

1. I find it fascinating how some people naively assume they have absolutely no interest in fashion whatsoever, "because fashion is superficial and therefore non-relevant in so many ways", while ironically they can't realize how fashion is deeply connected to their every day outfit choices, even if unconsciously. Take those iconic sunglasses, the wayfarers, for example. Audrey Hepburn wore them in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Kirsten Dunst didn't seem to ever leave her place without them long before it became an obsession - like 2-3 years ago? And although they might not be the hardcore fashionista option for the current season, there are still plenty of them out there, from the classic black shades to the most hideous patterns. And you will see/have seen them worn by people who think these are just... sunglasses.
2. How presumptuous to judge fashion as irrelevant and superficial! Clothes and accessories are part of human history like anything else, from severe dresscodes to the considerable style freedom we enjoy today. Clothes aren't just clothes, as they have the power to state whatever you want. At some point in my life I worked in this place surrounded by men and women looking the same in their boring suits, shoes and pumps, utterly glad, even proud for doing what they did, whereas I despised it... I'd never wear leather pumps in 30 degrees weather, or a boring matching suit, for that matter, just because I was working with them. I'd wear my oldest pair of jeans, a tee and converses, sometimes even flip flops. Yes. Flip flops. Because I didn't belong there, because I didn't want to fit in.