
"It's not the shoes, though, that makes the girl look so strangely, so weirdly dressed. No, it's the fact that she's wearing a man's flat-brimmed hat, a brownish-pink fedora, with a broad black ribbon. The crucial ambiguity of the image lies in the hat. (...) No woman, no girl, wore a man's fedora in that colony then. No native girl, either. What must have happened is: I tried it on just for fun, look at myself in the shopkeepers glass, and see that there, beneath the man's hats, the thin awkward shape, the inadequacy of childhood, has turned into something else. (...) I take the hat and am never parted from it. Having got it, this hat that all by itself makes me whole, I wear it all the time. With the shoes it must have been much the same, but after the hat. They contradict the hat, as the hat contradicts the puny body, so they're right for me. I wear them all the time too, go everywhere in the shoes, this hat, out of doors, in all weathers, on every occasion. and to town.”
I've been told short-haired girls might look too boyish by wearing male fedora hats, and unless you have nice long curls, it's not a good idea to wear it. But rules exist to be broken, plus, i gotta a very woma
nly figure
. I guess it says enough. There's another hat I'd like to have, but I'm not quite sure it would look good on me. It's the cloche hat, which I've always praised, but I definetely fell in love with it when I saw King Kong in 2005. Naomi Watts character looks so adorable with her little gray hat on. Oh, I love the 1920s. A while ago I could see the film again, and as the weather wasn't warm yet, I had the thought this could be the perfect hat for me during the cold months. I think a black one would be the right match for my red coat. I've found a very old store in Randers where they make handmade hats, which is very popular among the local old ladies. Young women can be so clueless.
A couple of weeks ago, looking for fall/winter inspiration, I found this picture, but i don't quite remember where I saw it, I'm almost sure I found it on The Sartorialist archives. It was everything I was looking for, and seeing a girl making this fall look works beautifully in the streets made me happy and inspired.
The line belongs to Lena Olin's Sabina in the brilliant film The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I haven't read Milan Kundera's novel, but in the film, Sabina is an artist that has a not so well explained aversion to conventional relationships. She's mysterious and seductive, and what makes her even more peculiar is the bowler hat she wears during great part of the film.
Like Daniel Day-Lewis' character says at some point, every woman has a single detail that makes her totally unlike any other, and Sabina's detail is her hat. Not hard to disagree on his opnion, as Sabina looks quite femminine wearing the sort of hat that made Chaplin figure iconic. And what about Diane Keaton in Annie Hall? She wore a floppy bowler hat in male vests, an image that's hard to forget. I prefer Lena Olin though. And at present times, I adore the fashion editorial where model Guinevere van Seenus appears wearing different versions of this charming little hat. Unfortunately i don't know which magazine featured it.

The hat had a revival in Hollywood in the 1930s, when the wonderful Fred Astaire wore it in different musicals, not only in Top Hat. I think I would never wear such a hat, though a modern version of it looked cute in a young Kate Moss, but maybe that's because she's Kate Moss. Another remarkable film image involving a character in a hat was brought to us by Martin Scorsese. A 13-year-old Jodie Foster walking around the dirty streets of NY in a flowery top, hot pants and floppy hat in the must-see film Taxi Driver.
Three decades before Taxi Driver, a swedish lady was immortalized on screen while wearing a low-slung Fedora. Ingrid Bergman always looked sexy and classy in films. Though as mentioned in a couple of paragraphs above, I'm the kind of female who finds Bogart's hat more appealing. But i guess the award for the lady who wore hats the best goes to Audrey Hepburn. I don't know if it has something to do with her noble roots or her inner sense of style, something so hard to be a
but that was a couple of years ago, when I had a crush on newsboy caps. Now i can't bear them. And what is up with those cowboy hats? I don't really get them. It looks good in Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, that's all. Newsboy caps, along with knit hats are the most commonly worn these days, though the fedora hat has made a huge comeback. I personally don't think it's reasonable to blindly follow all season trends, but if you really adore hats, and timeless hats like i do, i suggest you to find which one will look the best on you, matching your style and facial features. Don't stick too much in rules and if you're brave enough, you'll stand out wearing your beloved hat no matter if it looks trendy at the moment or unusual - and for that fact - , eccentric in the eyes of narrow minded people. Unless you're wearing something inspired on Ascot ladies. Then I'd be one of the people staring at you in the street.
29 comments:
I love hats too! i wear a lot at the beach, over the summer.. And the winter ones I might wear in some trip, not her in Brazil.
wow! the bks which u've mentioned... i'm itching to ge dmy hands on those now=p
haha the 1st pic which u put on was fab!!! though, i would say so if i were to wear it.. haha
here in singapore.. i dont ven rmb seeing anything liddat; mayb on jap tourists. but.. i guess, the girls here arent exactly daring in their dressing. which is such a bane.
but, i'm keen to change tt=p
great post!!
anyhow, thanks for yr comment!!
Eu não gosto de chapéus e para usar aqui em Natal, é praticamente impossível...
great post, makes me happy because i love hats! :D
hats hats!! if only i had a face that suited hats then i would be so happy! hats just look awful on me...
thanks for d comment:
hope tt these designs would come up wif smt totally amazing next season then!!
* fingers crosses*
haha. totally! i think i wud; if i cud find a pretty one!!
adorei este post :) muito interessante!
beijo
Su
My english are very untrained, but i read in your post about taxi driver, who I write on my blog...Lena Olin either, in a caracter very sexy...But Hepburn is out of contest...You miss Grace Kelly (I don´t remember she wearing hats), I talked about her in Kamila's blog.
Hehehe, não estou muito 'por dentro' do assunto comentado, mas adorei o post, especialmente por ampliar o tema para verdadeiros clássicos do cinema. Naomi Watts (uma de minhas atrizes favoritas) está belíssima em "King Kong", adorei seu visual como um todo (chapéu muito bonito).
Abraço! :-)
hehehe Dois comentários masculinos nesse post:-)
Cassiano, a Grace Kelly é sem sombra de dúvida um símbolo de elegância da Hollywood de outrora, mas não vejo a sua imagem muito associada aos chapéus, tema do post. A Audrey é a rainha dos chapéus, acho que os chapéus estão pra ela como as calças de corte masculino estão para a Katharine Hepburn.
Vinícius, fico feliz que tenha gostado do post. Muitos clássicos do cinema são tb grandes referenciais de moda:-)
Kamila,vc não gosta de chapéus em vc ou em ninguém?
Su,obrigada!
Eu odeio chapéus em geral, Romeika. Apesar de achar que, naquela época antiga, as pessoas ficavam bem com o acessório.
Bravo! Very nice post. I agree, I wish I could wear hats, I, personally think I would look great in tham w/ my long curls. Bur absolutely no one around where I live wheres them (actually all the trends hit here like a year later, example:skinny jeans, just got popular a couple months ago).
x sara o
-I like that black hat with the red coat idea, very vintage.
wow youve found some lovely pictures
i love black and white photos
i wish people would wear hats more cos they really make people look more interesting
I love your posts! They always make me think. I think that there's no better accessory than beautiful headwear. I'm a big fan of pillbox hats with net veils, if at any point in my life I can carry that style off, I'll die happy.
Re: Sheer shirt and no bra?!! Good God! That's just wrong. Sometimes I have no idea what people are thinking.
Romeika: You are absolutely right I should get those hats! Actually right now I'm just getting into skinny jeans, I tell you it's Alpharetta, the city I live in. Alpharetta is right outside of Atlanta, in Georgia, USA. Atlanta is better, becuase they have American Apparel, and Urban Outiftters, and many boutiques, but here out in Alpharetta Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch are the most polular (both wich I hate). It's pretty bad. I should defiantly starting going into the city for shopping. There's a thought.
I think my first hat should be that adorable black one.
x sara o
Thanks for the comment.
Truly loved the hats post....I read some of this and thought wow something diff. for a change!You have a great fashion blog from what I've seen.May I link you?
p.s. I have short hair and wore a pin-striped fedora to my friend's b-day bash...people really loved the hat!
I love old traditional hats, that first picture is so pretty.
This is a great and well researched post;)
Irina said: "hats are the new shoes!"
Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. Thanks for the attention, bye). Até mais.
I like the hat from the Satorialist, though I have always wanted that really popular hat the Fergia, Sienna, and Keira wear.
x sara o
Olá :)
Nossa, que aula sobre chapéus! Eu acho lindos, mas alguns eu não gosto muito, como a da primeira foto e aquele que a Julia Roberts usou em "Uma Linda Mulher". Os mais fofos são aqueles pequenininhos, redondinhos, que acompanham o formato da cabeça. Infelizmente, pra mim, qualquer coisa que fique na cabeça, seja chapéu, boina(AMO), boné, só quem tee a sorte de nascer com cabelo liso (ou quando escova, rs). Fica mais bonito. Cabelão cacheadão e cheio não ajuda mesmo =/
Adorei o post, ainda estou olhando as fotos dos links ;)
Bj!
re:Chapéus: eu uso qq coisa na kbça qdo to com o kblo escovado. Boinas, chapeuzinhos, bonés..caem bem melhor! O panamá eu não curto muito...o seu "objeto de consumo" (vintage) eu acho FOFO, feito mesmo pra cabelos curtinhos! Assisti a novela "Chcolate com Pimenta", década de 20, e toda mulher usava um!
Bjx!!
Great well reasearched post!
I am a hat fan but actually never wear them...
I guess it is just too hot in Brazil. At the beach however, I love wearing those big ones!
hi!!!! I just wanted to let you know my url changed to: http://thecolorofblushingapples.blogspot.com/
ahh... where are you now?? you have not posted in a long time and i miss reading your new posts. hopes for more soon. ^^
Oi, Romeika!
Sempre vejo seus comentários no Hollywoodiano, mas nunca tinha entrado no seu blog... amei! Que maravilhoso post sobre chapéus!
Adoooroo!
Tenho um "newsboy cap" preto que ganhei há pouco tempo e tenho usado muito nas manhãs geladas aqui de SP. Nesse inverno os chapéus começaram a aparecer mais por aqui, mas no Brasil as pessoas ainda não têm esse costume mesmo.
Acho lindos os cloches e fedoras também, mas são mais difíceis de usar, exigem muito estilo e segurança.
Essa semana vi uns lançamentos de bonés da Imaginarium e me apaixonei por um modelo inspirado nos bonés de equitação...
Enfim, como a moda é cíclica, vamos torcer para que os chapéus voltem de uma vez por todas.
Bjs!
Eu também não tinha entrado no seu blog, Romeika! Belo post!
Não entendo muito de moda, mas o post está ótimo!
Bjs!
Oi Flávia, obrigado pelo comentário e pela visita! Acho que no Brasil, a falta de costume com chapéus se deve ao clima mesmo, infelizmente. Seria bom ver mais chapéus nas ruas, principalmente no inverno. Concordo que os fedoras e cloches exigem estilo e segurança, morro de vontade de usar os dois, principalmente o cloche (meu objeto de desejo para os meses frios que estão por vir), vamos ver no que vai dar:-)
Aproveite bem muito seu chapéu no inverno paulistano, pq quando começa a esquentar, realmente fica difícil usar chapéus :-S Beijos!
Otávio, obrigado pelo comentário e pela visita! Apareça mais vezes aqui. beijos!
Post a Comment