"Next moment she found that what was rubbing against her face and hands was no longer soft fur but something hard and rough and even prickly. 'Why, it is just like branches of trees!' exlaimed Lucy. And then she saw that there was a light ahead of her; not a few inches away where the back of the wardrobe ought to have been, but a long way off. Something cold and soft was falling on her. A moment later she found that she was standing in the middle of a wood at night-time with snow under her feet and snowflakes falling through the air." 
This was the first Christmas I've ever spent in a winter time, but unfortunately there was no snow. I already expected that, as I've been told it's really rare to snow in Denmark around this specific time of the year. When I first came here, real snow came in february, through a rough snow storm. It looked beautiful at first sight, but then came the salt, and the slow melting, and dirt. Its beauty didn't last so long. Whenever there's a road, a street, a town, that's how it is, I guess. As long as it's below zero and there's as less as human presence as possible, snow will keep its immaculate beauty, at least for a little longer. Next time it snows, I'd like to shoot a forest.

Looking at these photos, I could almost picture a snowy wood extracted from a certain book. It would make it easier to believe if there was a lamp-post in its centre and perhaps a frightened faun carrying a little umbrella and several parcels. He could invite me to have a delightful cup of tea at his house while playing a beautiful song with a flute. However, I ought to be aware of a tall and pale lady who could easily enchant a human while serving Turkish Delight. And since it's been always hard to resist to sweets...
P.S.: All three photographs were taken by my husband in 2006.
30 comments:
first off i would like to thank you for giving me the thinking blogger award i will make sure to get on that in my next blog post. like you i dunno exactly what it means, but it still is awesome! :) also i really really appreciated/loved the comment you left on my sweeney post, it is definitely one of the nicest comments i have recieved :) and i must admit i was slightly unsure as to how the sweeney post would go over with the fashion blogosphere, but i'm really glad it was well liked. i have a lot of fun combining fashion and movies, since they're two of my passions, so i'm glad people like it too. and you're right it is rather exhausting always having fashion on the brain during film viewing- although i think its worse when you start dreaming up characters wardrobes during a film, i do that a lot, its definitely distracting haha
i like your current post, i have to admit i'm not big on narnia, book or film, CS Lewis has a bit too much of an agenda for me, but that was the perfect quote. the photos are gorgeous, and i know exactly what you're talking about because Minnesota has been getting heapings of snow this entire week, it looks like narnia, minus the lamp post and james mcavoy of course haha, but it can be a nuisance, it's funny because for the first 30mn of snowfall no one really cares when driving, but then all of the sudden they realize that oh no! it's snowing and everyone driving so slowly, it is really irritating haha
Those pictures beautiful!!
In spite I live in a place where doesn't snow I know the feeling of the slow melting and the dirt, because I was at Canada a few times in Winter and I've seen the two sides of the "thing". It's so ugly when the snow is dirty, but it's so beautiful when nothing has touched it...
xxx
oh! how wonderful!! it's a dream come true! no, MY dream come true! those photos are just gorgeous.
Não sou um grande fã de "Nárnia" nem nada, mas as fotos estão maravilhosas, gostaria de um dia ver algo assim, hehehe ;-)
Romeika, um excelente Ano Novo para você e toda sua família. Um grande abraço e feliz 2008!
Gorgeous pictures of the snow. After 3 years in Hawaii and 3 before that in North Carolina I still get as giddy as a child when I see snow. It's exciting and magical and new every time it falls.
I love the pictures they are beautiful
i live in canada so you know i'm use to all this snow on a daily basis especially this year!
narnia!! love the book and movie!!! it;s so magical and pretty!!
and the pictures!! wow they're really fab!!!
the pics are beautiful - i totally see the relation to the movie!
happy new years eve :D
Jayne, I haven't read the entire Narnia books (I was reading while packing for the moving, so I didn't have enough time to finish it and therefore, I returned it to the library), but from the books I've read, I really liked the writer's style, I love how he develops the characters' personalities without making a boring and long description, just by their acts, it's pretty remarkable. And another bad thing about snow: the traffic gets so slow, indeed hehe Thanks for the comment, I'll be checking your future post soon ^^
The Seeker: Yes, it's quite ugly, isn't it? hehe People from countries which don't snow always have this magic and romantic idea of snow.."oh it's lovely" *lol* But snow has two very different sides.
Cotton Candy: Thanks!
Vinícius: Vou dizer a John (meu marido hehe, ele quem fotografou). Muito obrigado, e feliz ano novo pra vc e sua família tb! Aproveita o sol aí por mim ^^
The Clothes Horse: I have lived all my life in a similar place, so I hear you! hehe
Jen: It must be heaps of snow there, much more than here hehe (no proper snow here so far)
Penelope: Thanks!
Modern Marie, thanks!
And for all my blog's readers, I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! See you in 2008;-)
P.S.: I'll be answering the comments on the posts below in 2008, as well as commenting on your blogs. ^^
I loved The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. Snow in deep woods does seem to have a certain fairy tale quality to it. I love when the trees are heavy-laden with snow, white and silent, like there is no noise in the world but my own magical thoughts.
Happy New Year, Romeika, and best wishes to your family.
I love the snow passages, but It's difficult to see it for real because of where I live, I expect you to see snow soon.
Cheers to the begin of the Year
Oh, I should have said
something nice about your
husband's photography.
I hope it isn't too late.
They are beautiful photos!
I loved Narnia books and I want to re-read them because I'm forgetting some parts. Happy new year and good luck
So after all are you dreaming of a snowy winter, too?
:-) Your pictures certainly made me dream...
Best wishes for 2008!
That's to bad it didn't snow, but at least the climate was cold. Here is getting hotter and hotter, our christmas is not similar to the one north-americans show us at all.
I love the pictures your husband took (:
Happy 2008!
♥
I think these photos are magical and amazing. They really remind me a snowy good time and I wish it was wintery here though I am expecting snow in New York shortly.
http://www.theshinysquirrel.com
Seraphine, lovely comment! And about the pics, I'll tell my husband you liked them hehe Happy new year!
A.R. Shoup, it actually snowed today, but so little, and it melted very fast:-S Cheers to you too! ^^
Olimpia, I wanna finish the rest of the books sometime, I really loved the ones I read. And thanks for the good luck wishes, I really need them, gotta find a proper danish school soon hehe Mine sucks big time ^^
Grinda, you really made a point in that post of yours about snow and so.. Observing these pictures, snow really lights up the enviroment, it would be great to have it during this awful dark winter. Best wishes too! :-)
Aisha, you had a nice hot christmas anyway, right? hehe Happy 2008:-)
Jessica, I love the photos too ^^ You're lucky for having snow soon!
Lindas fotos! Adoro neve!
Ainda estou de férias na praia, entri na internet para resolver uma coisinhas e aproveitei para espiar alguns blogs e queria te desejar um 2008 maravilhoso!
Lindas fotos! Adoro neve!
Ainda estou de férias na praia, entri na internet para resolver uma coisinhas e aproveitei para espiar alguns blogs e queria te desejar um 2008 maravilhoso!
Wow - those pics are breathtaking! I think snow is so beautiful - it snowed here on Christmas day and I was so excited! Its nice to be relaxing at home when its snowing big flakes! :)
Happy New Year!
Beautiful pictures! It snowed here today but it didn't settle on the ground which was a shame. I have to admit that I haven't yet seen the Narnia film because I love the book and I'm always wary of screen translations (I haven't even seen the HP movies past 1 and 2). I'm glad to see you're settling into your new Danish life, it looks wonderful!
hey there these are beautiful pictures... i was thinking of doing a sketch of collection inspired by the winter season and you've really perked up my motivation!
Romeika, as fotos que o John tirou são lindas e, por mais lindo que seja ver a neve, eu também não aguento as temperaturas frias que a neve traz. A gente aguenta por um dia, ou dois, mas direto deve ser quase insuportável - ainda mais para pessoas como nós, que somos acostumadas a um tipo de clima completamente diferente desse.
Carolina, férias na praia, quem dera eu! hehe Um 2008 maravilhoso pra vc tb!!
Lady N, You had a snowy Christmas, so cool!
Meg, welcome back! I've read the book too, and there was a very few changes concerning the battle (that is the part I less liked in the movie, and it's best described in the book), but apart from that, the screen adaptation was good. Here in DK it's been the same thing..it snows and then it melts right away:-S
Debbie, glad you got inspired:-) Checking this future post afterwards..
Kamila, sabe que o frio nem me molesta tanto agora? Acho que depois desse tempo todo aqui acabei me "acostumando", e mais ou menos acredito num ditado que ouvi por aqui: "Não existe tempo ruim, e sim agasalho ruim". Ainda assim, o frio não deixa de castigar numa ventania violenta:-S O pior do inverno pra mim são os dias curtos e constantemente escuros. Vou dizer a John que vc gostou das fotos ^^
Romeika, claro que você acaba se acostumando. A minha experiência com um frio do tipo que você encontra aí foi curta e eu me lembro de chegar e dizer que não iria sair mais só para não ter que enfrentar aquele frio todo. Mas, concordo: bem agasalhada, com uma luva e um gorro, a gente aguenta tudo! :-)
I always felt a little bit sad when the winter in Narnia ended, I loved the image of a land where there is always winter and the wood are always quiet and snowy like there.
(but then again, when its snow here at home for more than a month I get bored, hate it, and wish for the summer...)
Aguenta-se QUASE tudo, Kamila:-) rsrsrsrsrsrs..
Freelancer's fashionblog: hahaha you get bored because of a month and a few days, don't forget that in Narnia, the winter lasted (thousands of years?) I can't remember, but it was a hell of a long time. :-)
2008 FASHION BLOGGER AWARDS ARE HAPPENING, PLEASE FILL OUT THE NOMINATION FORM @MAHALOFASHION.COM
Thanks,
Jen
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.
Post a Comment