Last weekend I was in the zoo at Frederiksberg, and some animals (two of them are listed below) inspired me to do this post. I didn't love the zoo so much, except for the rain forest and some animals, that despite being in a limited area, seemed to be doing their normal activities, minus worring so much about predators. For the rest, it was sad seeing the polar and black bears stucked in a hole. It's not really worth nagging about such topic, zoos have always existed and I suppose they always will. In the past these animal's conditions were a lot worse in these places, and compared to those times, one could say now they live in a five star hotel (I'm saying it based in the zoos I visited here in Denmark). However, I still think big animals like bears, lions, tigers, elephants, leopards, etc, shouldn't be in an ordinary zoo, no matter how big it is.
There are two places I visited in Denmark (far from Copenhagen), where animals such as bears have a very big area to swim, run and walk. If it's not yet the ideal as being in their natural enviroments, living wildly and freely, nevertheless it's far better than a big hole in the ground. Another good place is the Rain Forest zoo in Randers, where the sky is not the limit, but at least monkeys and birds are as "free" as possible. It would be perfect if there was no poisonous snakes and some other small animals that require a "prison". If you have to lock them, why bring them there in the first place? That's the same principle why I'd never have a "pet" bird. Now I leave you with some moments of cuteness:
Bath time - at Scandinavisk Dyrepark, last autumn
ZzZzZzZzZzZ... - in a pet shop in Randers, winter 2007. Poor mice.
Botanic Garden, current year - baby ducks meet a turtle
I don't how these fluffy and chubby creatures are called in english, but some of them standed still for minutes, it looked so funny, sort of "The Happening" epidemic moment *lol*
Bunny enjoying the sunshine, at Frederiksberg Zoo (the children's zoo part)
Baby leopards, at Ree Park, last summer.
9 comments:
I love animals. "Good" zoos care for an animal's well being, and have probably kept several species from becoming extinct. Zoos are also good educational venues.
I hate bad zoos where, as you say, the animals are kept in a hole in the ground.
I don't mind house pets if people take care of and love their animals. Pets become part of the family and have good lives.
But leaving a bird in a cage (which happens a lot unfortunately) is very sad. Birds like to be part of a family (flock) and need lots of love and attention.
It's also sad when pets are left behind because people no longer want them or they are unable to care for them. Many animals are killed each year because they are abandoned. It breaks the heart to think of that.
que lindos!!!!!
amo gatos e felinos, sonho em ter um gatinho...talvez no futuro :)
beijos Romeika!
Seraphine, you're right in that, better to be safe in a zoo that takes good care of them, then being hunted in their natural enviroment. I don't know much about it, so I won't go any further in this. I guess I exagerated a little when I said "a hole in the ground", the thing is, the area wasn't big at all for any bear, and it's just awful when it gets summer, it's not that great for the polar bears, and in comparisson, during the long and cold winter, many other animals like monkeys stay locked, since they wouldn't survive in the outdoors. I can't help thinking zoos are just there for entertainment above all..
I don't mind pets either, on the contrary! I just meant birds in cages, since birds shouldn't be pets. I agree it's awful when people just abandon their animals.
Kira, tb gostaria de ter um gatinho no futuro.. ou um coelho. Beijos!
Romeika, eu nunca fui em um zoológico, pode?? Mas, concordo: animais são fofos e suas fotografias provam isso! :-)
Bom final de semana!
awwwaaawwwaaawwwww.........
those are really really cute pictures.....
aren't they little angels!!
ps. ive linked you back. thank you..xoxo
Sooo cute. In Cracow is a big zoo, animals have a lots of place and thare is also a mini zoo- lot of litlle animals (piglets, lamas, pony etc.) playing togehter. I think it's good, I hate bad zoo's where animals are suffering!!!
Kamila, eu tb nunca tinha ido a um zoo antes de vir pra ca, acho que zoo eh mais coisa de europeu: aqui por exemplo, pra um pais pequeno, tem zoo ateh demais. Ja estive em uns seis lugares diferentes com animais, ainda que alguns nao fossem um zoo tradicional, e sim, uma quase especie de reserva pra animais.
No Brasil, muito melhor eh uma viagem a Amazonia, ao Pantanal, fora tantos outros lugares onde eh possivel ver os bichos no seu habitat natural. Isso eles nao tem aqui, afinal, nas florestas soh tem passarinho, coelhinho, esquilinho, todos escondidos hehehe.. Era tao engracado na "floresta tropical" de Randers, o povo tirando foto dos macaquinhos que eu via em Natal, e das formigas carregando pedacinhos de folhas, que eu vejo no jardim da casa dos meus pais. :-p
Bom fds!
Catherine, thanks for the link!
Styledigger, I've been in some zoos that sort of have this minizoo thing, it's really cute:-) And children love it.
Oh they are so cute!! Especially the cat licking its paw. I love cats!
The bunny is so cute. Paula
Post a Comment