Tuesday, September 9, 2008

When movies, art and fashion meet

I've interviewed Lina, the wardrobe remixer who always manage to look amazing wearing the pieces that once belonged to her mother and grandmother. Curious to know what's the idea behind all those creative outfits she displays on her Flickr page? Here's your chance to know more about it.
Lina wearing a Blade Runner inspired outift
1)Briefly introduce yourself.
My name is Lina and I'm currently studying art and picture knowledge in Göteborg (at the west coast of Sweden). But I'm originally from Stockholm where I've spent the first 19 years of my life. I'm very interested in art, movies and clothes, so I try to see, experience and own as much as possible of them!
2)How would you describe your signature style?
I love contrasts and usually use a lot of red in my outfits and makeup. I use exotic, dark colors and moods. The styles I prefer is early 60's or mid 80's (usually a mix of both).



3)What influences your style? Do you have any fashion icons?
I'm very influenced by movies, so my fashion icons are usually characters from films. But I change my influences from day to day. One day might be a great Sophia Loren day when the next is a great Bruce Lee day.

4)When and how did you start developing your personal style?
I've had a very personal style from the very beginning. When I was 9 I bought my first "The Cure" album and got obsessed with looking like a traditional 80's goth. That's when I started to buy second hand clothes and after "The Cure" came Bohemian hippie, little old lady, 60's dresses, nerd, silent movie star and so on.

5)What are the key pieces in your daily wardrobe?
I must have turtlenecks, skirts and cardigans in every possible color. I've always loved turtlenecks because they make you look elegant and keep you warm. I have a million skirts because my mother used to get me thrifted skirts for barely 1 dollar and they are a great every day substitute for those of us who want to look a little bit more dressed up than you do with pants. The Cardigans are the ultimate key piece since you can mix it with almost anything. Dresses, t-shirts or blouses all work great with cardigans.
6)What would you never wear?
There's very little I wouldn't wear. I avoid anything in polyester and I hate baggy, low-cut trousers, or anything low-cut really. I don't wear polyester because it's a horrible material that barely breathes, and I hate low-cut pants or skirt because it looks tacky to show off your belly and I prefer sophisticated, covered up sexiness ahead of flesh-showing "sexiness".

"I think of fashion as acting. Putting on different roles is what it's all about. Instead of wishing I was a cool genetic experiment from the future, I become one."

Sean Young in Blade Runner
7)Tell me about your remarkable ability to transform yourself into anything you have in mind, like Sean Young's character in Blade Runner.
I don't connect my personality to my appearance, which makes it a lot easier to experiment with my different looks. I think of fashion as acting. Putting on different roles is what it's all about. Instead of wishing I was a cool genetic experiment from the future, I become one. It's sort of like when you were little and put on an eye-patch to become a pirate or a towel around your neck to be superman. Except I try to add a little style into my pirates and supermen.

8)Where do you normally like to shop/thrift?
I love to go to the local charity shops like "myrorna","emmaus" or "stadmissionen". But if I'm looking for something a little more exclusive, I might go to any of the little vintage stores in Stockholm.

"When I was 9 I bought my first "The Cure" album and got obsessed with looking like a traditional 80's goth. That's when I started to buy second hand clothes."


(1) Lina wearing a jacket her mother made herself in the 1960s. (2) Woman with a Hat by Matisse, 1905.


9)How do you want to dress this fall?
I will go for a 40's boyish look this fall. High waisted grandfather pants and pale blouses or shirts with some nice high heels. I might change my mind in a week or so, but that's the plan!

10)What are your interests apart from fashion?
I'm interested in art and movies. I do a bit of drawing myself, but I prefer to look at other artists work. My favorite art eras would have to be Fauvism or surrealism. Art can also be a great source for fashion influences! My interest in movies comes from my father. Me and my sister have been fed with all kinds of movies our whole lives by him. My boyfriend is starting to get very frustrated with the fact that we can barely rent movies since I've already seen most of the film selection by now.
See more of Lina's great outfits on her Flickr page and on Lookbook.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Romeika, adorei a entrevista. A Lina é uma personagem bem interessante.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Brilliant interview. I love Lina's style and it's nice to get an idea of what is going on in her mind.

emily said...

she's amazing and i love the interview!

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I loved it. She sounds fascinating. Great photos, also.

Ciao!

Anonymous said...

beautiful interview with lina. i don't like polyester either. love love love the pictures, and your interview.

Anonymous said...

Romeika, acabei de ler que o European Film Awards 2008 vai acontecer em Copenhague! Você não vai perder esta, né????

Kira Aderne said...

Nossa, ela é mesmo fantástica. Suas fotos são como quadros e suas idéias são geniais :)

Mil beijos querida!
Vc é fabulosa!!

Hollister H. Hovey said...

wow! how fabulous and creative. esp love the blade runner inspired pictures. it's such a classic.

nitovuori said...

Interesting interview. I especially got curious about this "not connecting her personality to her looks". I think I do connect these quite strongly. But when I was younger I did experiment more, I had different style phases (like a black and white phase, ugh!). I think I'm at least 15 years older than Lina, so that might make some difference. I'm not saying everyone will become less experimental when they get older! But probably in general people's styles are more flexible when they're young.

Lexie said...

she does not look like she's trying to hard, but she still comes off so original and fresh. i love it. your interview is great!

Bluukbob said...

WOW

such a great post

xoxo

Bluukbob said...

WOW

such a great post

xoxo

Diana Coronado said...

Great entry !!