Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Are you going to H&M tomorrow?


I'm prolly going to take a look, but I'm not willing to purchase anything, except perhaps for a menswear wool hat. Why is that, considering the immediate attraction I felt for some of the pieces when they first stumbled on the internet? Well, the prices. 2498 dkk for a dress?!? I don't care if it's H&M Comme des Garçons, it's certainly made in a country where the worker makes less than 200 dollars a month. Not to mention the quality... Some, like The Sartorialist himself can claim it's all about a piece's unique design, but for me it doesn't change the fact it's nonetheless H&M, and for what? For the same value I could purchase something better, more wearable and even more unique. Because no matter how the stores where you can find this dress are few, there are still going to be people enough in the world wearing the same as you do.

14 comments:

ZuKi said...

I agree that it's not necessary to pay much money for clothes,many people think that if clothes are expensive they are stylish and qualitative, but it's not an axiom! People don't look on cheap clothes if they are rich, that's why it happens that many Hollywood actresses wear the same dresses,for example:)

Maja said...

I agree completely. Plus, I didn't care much for the designs. I remember liking the Viktor & Rolf stuff, but I think that's the only "____ for H&M" designs I've actually considered buying.

Anonymous said...

Romeika, adorei o sobretudo azul marinho que está em uma das fotos do post!!! Boa compra, amanhã - mesmo sem você ter planos de gastar nada, quem sabe você não encontra algo que a agrada?

Anonymous said...

haha. i never worry about others wearing the same thing i do. because ultimately, two people can have the same outfit on, but both wear it differently, with different accessories, hair, shoes. i don't have *any* one of a kind things in my closet (other than things maybe nobody else would wear), but i never see anybody dressed exactly the same as me. never. maybe once.

Kira Aderne said...

Definitivamente não irei, mas só pela distância geográfica :)

Romeika, que bom que gostou do post com a sua foto! Tenho ceterza que inspirou muita gente. Obrigada!

Sobre o vestido, fico feliz que tenha gostado :)

Mil beijinhos,
Kira

Anonymous said...

I actually opted out of the whole fuss. I am trying to keepthe spending to a minimum though I like the ads a lot

Romeika said...

Zuki, it's true, and that's why I love thrifting, one can always find something great for a very cheap price.

Maja, I liked that dress/jacket a lot, but the price is just ridiculous. But in general I wasn't very impressed by the entire collection.

Kamila, esse sobretudo realmente tem um design bem legal, me lembra inclusive o corte escandinavo de certas marcas daqui. Eu irei amanha, mas acho q acho que sairei da loja sem nenhuma sacola hehehe

Seraphine, you're right, and I agree with you. I recognize it was a poor argument, as I do have a lot of popular chains' pieces, and I bought them cause I liked it without caring who might be wearing the same skirt or jacket. The point here is only to criticize how ridiculous the prices are, and for what? If I had to buy something this expensive I'd rather buy something "unique".

Kira, deviam abrir H&Ms no Brasil hehe Fazer concorrencia com as C&As, Renners e Riachuelos da vida. Bjs!

Jessica, tell me about trying to keep the spending to a minimum hehe

Aisha said...

You're right. It seems unfair and silly to pay a large amount of money for those clothes, when the workers who made it receive such low salaries and when the quality can't not even be described as good.

WendyB said...

I went into an H&M once and ran right out. It was a zoo in there.

Ellie Lee said...

I know right!! I feel the same for Kate Moss's Topshop line; it's just. Insane~

Anyway I love the pictures you posted on yr previous post; Esp the flock of birds! It's gorgeous! And I love Korean fashion too! It's JUST TOO Cute!

Cate said...

It may be well possible that I'll be going to H&M tomorrow, but if I do, I certainly won't go there for Comme des Garcons. I dislike that label and the pieces they designed for H&M don't attract me.

Romeika said...

Aisha, tell me about it.. The coats feel like summer coats, one would freeze in them. And most of the pieces, made in china.

Wendy, I would have run out too.

Penelope, that topshop collection was just so boring. And glad you liked the pics:-)

Cate, that's what I did, I bought something else.

Unknown said...

Hey Romeika!
I counldn't agreee with you more. I have exactly the same thoughts about that collection. H&M-clothes remain H&M quality, no matter what logo or band name they put on it - and the prices should reflect that.
If I want to buy designer quality I'm not going to H&M. I had hoped for smaller signature pieces like really cool t-shirts, vests or skirts - but those items are just too borring in that collection.
- love your red jacket by the way :)
hugs,
Line

Romeika said...

Line, exactly! And I think we're not the only persons in CPH to think the same, as people hardly hitted on the stores. Hugs back:)