Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Storyville, New Orleans, 1917










Pretty Baby (1978), starred by Brooke Shields as Violet, the young girl who was born and raised in a brothel, is a story told by the time Storyville was the legalized red-light district of New Orleans. Beautifully directed by the not always remembered Louis Malle, the film borrowed the mysterious and inspiring figure of photographer E. J. Bellocq (1873-1949), who actually photographed prostitutes in "The District", as the area used to be referred by locals. The character is adapted according to the story's circumstances by the use of endless creative liberty, as Bellocq, played by Keith Carradine, becomes Violet's love interest.
The movie caused a lot of controversy by the time it was released, and it still does nowadays, because of its sexual content revolving around a 12-year-old child. Disturbed viewer's opinions apart, Pretty Baby's costumes make me dream of an antique inspired wardrobe, from the lingerie spotted during night at Madame Nell's mansion, to the innocent white or cream coloured lacy dresses worn at day time, not to mention bows, hats and ribbons. Funny to think how fashion would drastically change in the course of a few years.

25 comments:

mimi said...

though it might be a bit disturbing, I love portrayals of what used to be considered sexy in the past. It's so far from contemporary views of sexiness which sometimes feel a little harsh (not to mention on the skinnier side!) All the frills and frippery... seeing past prostitutes in outfits not too far from what I might wear normally... a little odd but a little fun too.

another film to add to my rental list...

Kamila said...

Todo filme do Louis Malle causa controvérsia, é incrível!!!

Nunca assisti a esta obra em particular, mas amei as fotos! Vou ver se encontro o filme por aqui.

Lexie said...

i have wanted to see this movie for some time, especially after having seen The Lover.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

The fashion is lovely. It's also funny however covered the prostitutes are.

Anonymous said...

lovely clothes, and that's apparently a brothel!? wow, i've never heard of this film, but i must see it. I love Louis Malle, did you ever see "au revoir les enfants" we watched it in french this year and man is it heartbreaking considering its true!

Meg said...

Looks like another I'll have to get ahold of during the summer! I absolutely adore her hair in the 4th picture, and her eyebrows are amazing. I also feel a bit weird about wanting a few of the shirts and dresses worn by the prostitutes, somehow I don't think that desire would translate to today's brothel fashion! Great post though (I'm very glad you mention films like this because so many new ones come out every year that it's hard remembering the great ones from a few decades back!)

Romeika said...

Headmistress, if you love such portrayals you'll be pleased by this film, as the beauty standards were far from today's.. In the scenes Bellocq photographs the prostitutes, plus the result of his work, one can see how beauty and sensuality were much more subtitle, and even pure in a way. This coming from prostitutes! hehe

Kamila, eu gostaria de conhecer mais do diretor, acho que alem de "Pretty Baby" soh vi mais uns dois filmes dele. Procure assistir ao filme, a atuacao de Brooke Shields eh a melhor da sua carreira.

Copperoranges, I love "The Lover"!

The Clothes Horse: And this "covered" might have been considered indecent, I mean, the brothel's outfits.

Jayne, I've never seen this film, but I've always heard positive things about it, I'd love to see it.

Meg, I agree with you! hehe But in the film, most of the time they aren't wearing anything different from "normal" women in the streets, so don't feel weird. And thanks! ^.^

STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS said...

hi stylish friend

i just discovered your blog : very fresh !

I just wanted to tell you that I met Sarah Jessica parker / Sex and the city Monday in Paris and did great shots that you’ll certainly like

I also got great shots during the sunny days in Paris

Have a look and enjoy !
and may be one day i 'll be in your fav blogs ! lol

Cheers

Kamel
Street style romancer in Paris

Kira Aderne said...

NOssa, esse filme deve ser maravilhoso! estou com uma lista de filmes antigos que preciso ver e esse estará na minha lista!
As mulheres dessa época se vestiam de forma bem romântica, lindas, mas com possibilidades limitadas...

ainda bem que o mundo de hoje é diferente, não devia ser fácil a vida dessas mulheres...

sobre a bota, sim! quando a comprei, foi na época que nos falamos sobre isso. Esse ano a vizzano fez umas botas tão lindas quanto a que vc gostou...em julho, quando vier, talvez estejam em promoção :)

mil beijos!!!

Kamila said...

Romeika, do Louis Malle, meu favorito é "Perdas e Danos". Um verdadeiro filmaço!

Anonymous said...

I did love the costumes in this movie but was disappointed by the coldness of the acting. Maybe I expected too much passion?

Anonymous said...

I love the costumes. I think in those days, it was the custom not to show as much skin. In New Orleans, during hot, sticky summers, those clothes must have been uncomfortable to wear.

The Stylish Wanderer said...

the costumes are so awesome

Diana Coronado said...

The oldy is backin'
That is great !!

Romeika said...

Kira, eh o que sempre penso com relacao a moda de epocas passadas, era realmente uma ditadura. A melhor epoca eh a nossa, pois podemos desfrutar de todos esses estilos distintos, adaptando-os a nossa personalidade. Tomara que eu pegue essas promocoes! beijos!

Kamila, concordo! Gosto mais de "Pretty Baby", mas "Perdas e Danos" nao fica abaixo, e eh roteiro do David Hare;-)

Ambika, maybe you did, as there's a lot of subtitle acting going on, like from Carradine. But I do like the acting in the film, love Shields, Susan Sarandon, the pianist, the children, the prostitutes...

Seraphine, it must have been a hell in these layers!

Thank u all for the comments!

juliette hare oconnor said...

I happened onto your blog here while working on mine. I am an artist in New Orleans and specialize in assemblages of Storyville - which is where Pretty Baby was based. EJ Bellocq was a photogrpaher here in New Orleans and I use his photos in my work. You might want to look at my website and blogspot to see some of my work. The website needs some updating with new pieces, but you can get the general idea. The website is www.juliettehareoconnor.com and the blog is storyvilleneworleans.blogspot.com
Your site is wonderful..I too love the costumes and the entire era.
Juliette

Shes Dressing Up said...

I love all the white and cream, thanks for sharing these images!

Times of Glory said...

Darling, it is an extremely beautiful movie and young Brook Shields has that incredibly innocent beauty! Thank you so much for posting this brilliant movie which brings me up all the lovely memories as well xx

Carolina Lange said...

Esse é um ótimo filme. O figurino é lindo!
Adoro seus posts sobre filmes!

Romeika said...

Juliette, thanks for the visit and for the compliments on my blog, I'm definitely checking your site and blog, as I have historical interest on Bellocq's photographs.

Thank you all!;-)

STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS said...

tyank you very much

i really mean what i sadi you : you are gifted, your blog is different and makes us dreams
that's your talent

i'm gonna ad you right now

you can ad me as :STYLE AND THE CITY - PARIS in your street style list (it's the right section for me)

LET4S keep in touch because i am sure that in my projetcs we could work together.

have a wonderful day !

cheers

Kamel
street style romancer in Paris

Blue Floppy Hat said...

I don't think any depictions of underage (by which I mean prepubescent) girls and boys in sexual situations with older people will ever fail to disturb me, but I think I'd like to see this some day if I can. (it's much like Lolita- the subject horrifies me, but the prose is beautiful).

Blue Floppy Hat said...

But Brooke Shields is lovely- and the costumes, as you said, are oddly innocent by today's standards.

Ademar de Queiroz (Demas) said...

Romeika,
primeira vez por aqui e já gostei das referências: sou um goiano (que mora em Sampa), filho de potiguares, com vários parentes em Natal. É verdade que já faz um tempinho que não vou lá, mas tenho boas recordações de infância, quando passava as férias em praias como Ponta Negra e Redinha.
Ontem, saí para comprar uns livros, e trouxe para casa um das Brooke Shields (Depois do parto, a dor), sobre a sua traumática depressão pós-parto. Você conhece?
Olha, gostei do seu blog, voltarei outras vezes. Abração

Romeika said...

Oi Demas, conheco sim esse livro, mas nunca o li. Obrigado pela visita, e que bom que vc gostou do blog. Eu viajarei a Natal em poucas semanas, mal posso esperar, tenho muitas saudades. Abs!